Sunday, June 18, 2017

The Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina.

 Several years ago I drove the entire length of the parkway, 469 miles, from Shenandoah National Park to Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It was spring and it was raining with snow in many places. I didn't stop and wished I had. So on my recent road trip, I made it a point to stop along the Blue Ridge Parkway and camp,  primarily in the North Carolina section.
 Linville Falls at Milepost 316 was such a pretty spot. The campground was wide and spacious, with well kept sites and huge trees. The Linville River begins at Grandfather Mountain and flows over 2000 feet through a deep gorge. I hiked down into the gorge and was captured by the waterfall, flowers, trees and steep cliffs.
 Further up the parkway I stopped at this old log cabin built by the Brinegars in 1878. At one time, the cove in which they lived was a community of 20 families with a store, church and school. The family and those living nearby, raised their own food, built their own homes, and made shoes and clothing for themselves and their neighbors. An amazing way of life.
 In 1916, torrential flooding caused mud slides that destroyed everything but this one home.
 I believe these are the orange azaleas one of the old timers was telling me about. He kept going on and on about the different flowers that grew along the parkway, as well as telling me stories of the old days, when he grew up in these mountains. Even though he had no teeth, I was spellbound by the way life used to be for him.
 At Milepost 294 I found these cows grazing on the hillside, right outside of the Moses Cone Memorial Park.
 In the 1890's and early 1900's Moses Cone and his brother made a fortune in textiles, denim to be exact. He had this gigantic, 23-room Colonial Revival mansion built as a retreat from his work.
 He and his wife Bertha, planted thousands of apple trees on the estate and built 25 miles of carriage roads. After the Cone's death, the remaining family members donated the property to the Parkway. Now it is a place that everyone can enjoy, a place to hike, ski and ride horses. The Parkway Craft Center also uses the building to display local crafts and artists in residence.
 Even though I only camped in two different places, I must have stopped dozens of times along the Parkway to hike and take pictures. This view is of Devils Garden, a compelling look deep into the valley below.
 So many gorgeous flowers along the way. Not sure what this one is.
 This flower is a Mountain Laurel, often sung about in the Blue Grass songs we sing back home. Here in the Parkway, I actually experienced so many things we sing about. It makes the songs come to life.
 I spontaneously stopped at this pond and walked around towards the back when I noticed the reflection. Me and reflections, cant get enough.
 At Milepost 217, I stopped at Cumberland Knob and took a short hike. It was beautiful, right into the forest, and along the creek. I kept waiting to see the Knob, but never did. I even backtracked and tried to find it. I don't know what I was expecting, some strange formation of rocks I guess. Disappointed I walked back and found out that this was the spot where construction of the Blue Ridge Parkway began in 1935! Still not sure about the Knob part.
 Right after taking that picture of the tree, I nearly stepped on this jet black snake. He was just ready to cross the trail and laid there perfectly still as I passed by. The perfect gentleman. Then as soon as I was by, he crossed the path and went into the dry leaves.
 Near Blowing Rock, I found this spot called Rough Ridge. I took a chance and started up the trail. At first the trail crossed the bridge over a rushing stream.
 Closer to the top, the views were spectacular.
Rhododendron bloomed all along the path. So vibrantly alive with color.
 I always find shadow pictures fascinating, probably because I like reflections so much. The forest is filled with ferns here along the Parkway.
 That would be me at the top, happy as can be.
 After leaving the parkway I got lost on this dirt road that went on seemingly forever. I wasn't scared because it was all so interesting. I passed this deer-donkey-horse proudly displayed in someone's front yard. Finally I stopped and asked a man where I was and he kindly pointed me to the freeway.
This old barn has definitely seen better days, but I love her just the same, even more so than a new barn. So much color and texture written in her sides. Reminds me of a very old woman with wrinkles and lines in her face, and laugh lines around her mouth, features that tell the story of her life. To me that is true beauty. I hope to embrace my age and my God-given body as the years take their toll. At times I get discouraged, but then I encourage myself and remember that even though my outer body is growing old, my inner self is growing strong, confident and wise.

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.