Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Cuyahoga Valley National Park, Ohio

 Camping in Cuyahoga Valley National Park was quite the experience. After leaving the Blue Ridge Parkway, I headed north to Ohio. I had previously made a reservation at the primitive campsite and had no idea what to expect. All alone is what I got. That first night there was a horrific thunder and lightening storm, and I lay there in that little orange tent safe and dry!
 Cuyahoga Valley National Park at one time was home to Native Americans, European explorers, trappers, and homesteaders. It wasn't until the year 2000, that the area became a national park and now preserves 33,000 acres along 22 miles of the Cuyahoga River between Cleveland and Akron, Ohio. The Boston Store Visitor Center is housed in this old restored 1836 structure on the canal towpath.
Cuyahoga Valley is an interesting national park nestled in-between busy cities. Private homes and restored structures mingle with the natural surroundings.
 One of the best way to see the park is on bicycle, a popular mode of travel. I chose to walk the trails and had to be wary of crazy cyclists whizzing past me.
 I had a lot of fun exploring the park and discovering the new and old, as well as tasty ice-cream!
From my campsite, I walked along the trail to Brandywine Falls.
It was a beautiful walk through a forest of tall skinny trees, downed wood, fern and small creeks.
An assortment of green, in various forms.
 My legs were tired by the time I got to Brandywine Falls, but what a treat. This view is from the top of the Falls and allowed me to get a good perspective of the 65 feet of water rushing down into the gorge. What a wonderful sound that is!
Beautiful, Brandywine Falls in Cuyahoga Valley National Park, Ohio.
 That would be in front of the waterfall!
 One afternoon I took a walk down to the Beaver Marsh. Along the way I spotted this reflection of clouds mingling with the water lilies.
I have never seen so much green in my life! Everywhere I turn it is raining and green.
Sweet little white flowers along the way.
Another sighting of clouds in the water. Would love to be able to paint this picture. Maybe it will inspire someone to get out their paints and brushes and get to work!
I was looking into the marsh to try to spot the beavers when I noticed quite a racket going on above me. It was a mother bird feeding her babies. Here the baby is poking his head out of his home in the tree, and is patiently waiting for food!
Just look at those red mouths wide open and waiting! I watched her go back and forth so many times until it started to rain. At first I just sat there in the rain as it isn't cold, but then I continued to explore. Never did see any beaver, but saw signs of beaver along the way.
Another spot I visited was Blue Hen Falls, a short trip across the bridge and down the trail to the falls. When I first arrived I had the place to myself. Very peaceful.
Blue Hen Falls, a pretty waterfall that originates in Spring Creek and falls 15 feet over sandstone and shale. Thank you Lord for so many beautiful places!
Indigo Lake, a man made lake created by the National Park Service to fill an old quarry. The lake is fed from local springs and is a great place to sit and relax or even fish. People are always asking me if I fish. The answer is always no. There you have it.
One last look on my way out of Cuyahoga Valley. Good bye to one and all. May God be with you and keep you during rain, snow, lightening, thunder, drought, as well as the good and bad days.  

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.