Sunday, June 4, 2017

Everglades National Park, Florida

 On my recent roadtrip, I stopped at Everglades National Park in Florida. Hot, humid, buggy, and more. On my way in I visited a little store called Ted's Smallwood Store on Chokoloskee Island which is now a national historic site.  
In 1906, Ted Smallwood set up the trading post and bought hides, furs and farm goods in exchange for the goods he provided at the store. One of his grandchildren works in the store and remembers how it used to be back in the day. 
The store today is a museum and looks about the same as it did when Ted ran the store.
I love the way Ted built the store on stilts, which is what most of the homes in that area are like. Serves its purpose to prevent flooding and destruction.  
 As soon as I got on the Anhinga Trail in Everglades National Park, I spotted the alligators. I knew what I was looking for as I used to live in Florida and had seen them before. They are stealthy, sneaky and downright dangerous.
 I also remember the supersize bugs that plagued me there. This grasshopper is more of a spectacle than a plague. Even I like this one.
Further down I spotted even more alligators and even saw them roughing each other up to get the spot they wanted.
 I love flowers and am always amazed at the variety and delicate beauty in each one. Our God is an awesome Creator!
 Feeling safe from the gators up on the boardwalk, I spent hours sitting, standing and looking into the water. So totally fantastic, in spite of the ten billion bugs.
 Water lilies abound in the waters, and allow some cover for the water dwelling creatures.
 There were quite a few fish swimming about, and again I have no idea what kind this was. No fishing allowed here in the Everglades National Park!
 I saw the soft shelled turtle with the funny nose, and this red bellied turtle swimming in the waters.
One last look into the Everglades, a great place to visit if you wear plenty of insect repellent! Good night to one and all.

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.