Sunday, June 11, 2017

Ft. Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas National Park, Florida

 During my time in Key West, Florida I took the Yankee Freedom Ferry out to Dry Tortugas National Park, located 70 miles off the coast of Key West. Ft. Jefferson was built on Garden Key, one of the shoals and islands that make up the Dry Tortugas.
 Fort Jefferson is a sight to behold and is one of the largest all-masonry forts in the United States. The fort was nearly thirty years in the making and was built between 1846 and 1875. Even though the fort was never finished it served its purpose in protecting the United States ships patrolling the Gulf of Mexico and the Straits of Florida.
 The water surrounding the Dry Tortugas is a gorgeous shade of aquamarine and is crystal clear.
 I was thrilled to see a group of large Magnificient Frigate birds soaring high over the island. Their wingspan is over 7 feet long and they can soar for days at a time. They have difficulty landing and taking off again, so they make their living snatching food off the surface of the ocean as well as stealing food from other birds; thus the nickname, "Pirates of the Sky."
 I skipped the formal tour and instead struck out on my own to explore the fort.
 A large moat surrounds the fort and at times is filled with all kinds of sea life.
 Walking through the fort is like walking through time. The fort was built with decorative brickwork throughout and has 2000 arches, making it a work of art.
 In 1825, a lighthouse was constructed at Garden Key before the fort was even built. Hundreds of shipwrecks along the the shipping lane prompted its construction.
 As an artist, I appreciate color, line and form. All the beautiful arches delighted me and I ended up taking hundreds of pictures. Obviously I only posted a few to the blog!
 Up at the top, the view was incredible, almost breathtaking.
 Ft. Jefferson is one of a chain of costal forts that stretched from Maine to California. Although the fort was never attacked, it  served its purpose in protecting the peace of our young nation.
 After exploring the fort, I could hardly wait to jump in the ocean. Our ferry not only provided breakfast and lunch, but also provided tours of the fort and free snorkel gear! Here is the link to the National Park Website and the ferry info. https://www.nps.gov/drto/index.htm
 That would be me after my swim in the clear blue waters! Temperature and visibility were great.
A picture perfect moment, from the inside looking out into the moat surrounding the fort and the ocean and sky beyond.
 A seaplane that brought the more affluent passengers over to the Dry Tortugas! It sure created a ruckus starting up its engines.
Goodbye to the Dry Tortugas and the clear ocean water. Thank you Lord for protecting me on this journey. Thank you for helping me in time of need and watching my back.

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.