Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Michigan

 Mackinaw City in the UP which is the upper peninsula of Michigan. I couldn't figure out what people were talking about until I asked someone, "What is the U-P?" They looked at me like I was crazy. I guess I am crazy to drive all the way up here.
 I loved Mackinaw City, which is actually a village I think. Brightly colored tulips adorned the walkways and streets.
Beautiful wharf in Mackinaw City. I walked up and down, drinking coffee and exploring.
The Mackinac Bridge, a huge suspension bridge over the Straits of Mackinac, that joins the Lower and Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
At last I reached Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on the shore of Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes.
It made me so happy to be cold! I get migraines when it is too hot, so I always rejoice when it is cold.
The shore below my campsite on Hurricane River. So pretty! But it is not allowed to take any rocks. Sad. I just had to look and take pictures.
So many rocks to see, and touch and feel. So much fun.
From my campsite, I took a walk down to the Au Sable lighthouse. A pretty walk along the lake shore.
The Hurricane River flows right down into Lake Superior. It was so exciting to discover so many new things.
In the Miners Castle area, I walked all along the boardwalk and around the sculpted rocks.
At one point, I looked over the edge into the clear waters of Lake Superior,  straight down to the bottom!
The minerals staining the sandstone prompted the name "Pictured Rocks." Such a beautiful, clear cove, aquamarine in color. Felt like I was in the Caribbean!
 In Munising, I walked out to the falls and met some very nice older couples.
Munising Falls, a beautiful waterfall tumbling over the sandstone for 50 feet.
Forget-Me-Nots, a sight to behold. I guess everyone doesn't feel that way as the park was getting ready to pull out all the Forget-Me-Nots because they are considered invasive!
An old house along the way, a photographer ready to take a picture, me taking a picture of the photographer taking a picture!
Just one of the many ponds, streams, creeks, rivers, lakes, and waterfalls in the area! Water, water everywhere!
Handsome fishermen, getting ready to do some fly fishing at Agate Falls.
I was so surprised to find this beautiful little Waxwing bird and her mate on the shore of Lake Superior. Blessings and farewell to you and yours. Susan Little 

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.