Monday, May 9, 2011

Jenkinsen Lake, Sly Park, Pollock Pines, CA

My last night out under the stars was spent at Jenkinsen Lake, just outside of Pollock Pines. When I left Convict Lake I drove through wind, snow, rain and finally sunshine before arriving at the lake.
I made a pot of coffee, built a fire and watched the geese wander through the campground. The inquisitive little goslings never strayed far from their parents. They say if it snows on the Dogwood flowers that it will be the last snow of winter. While I was up in Pollock, I was fortunate to witness not only snow, but rain and hail falling on the Dogwoods. It rained during the night and early the following morning but by the time I was up and about, the rain had cleared and the lake looked so pretty. There is so much beauty in the simple things in life. Raindrops sparkling on a spiders web; a wonderful miracle of nature.On the way up Highway 395, I passed through the little town of Walker and spotted this memorial set up by the Forest Service to honor the firefighters who gave their lives in 2002 to save the community. To honor and remember their fallen comrades, the local firefighters tied their T-shirts to the fence that faced the memorial. The scenery along 395 and 89 was outstanding; windswept grasses, barren Aspen trees, pine trees, snow covered mountains and rushing rivers. The Carson River flows along the highway and makes for a very picturesque scene. Definitely better than the rest stop I slept in on my way back home! Cheers to you!

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.