Thursday, May 5, 2011

Bishop Creek Canyon, California, in the Spring

Bishop Creek Canyon is in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, 14 miles west of Bishop. Yesterday, I stumbled upon this perfect campsite overlooking the creek and snow covered mountains. All afternoon I brewed coffee in my tiny little coffee pot that Stan gave me and listened to the river. As soon as the sun dropped over the mountains, it immediately got very cold. Within minutes the fire was blazing and I was drinking another cup of coffee. In the morning after more coffee and toasted Squaw Bread, I drove up the mountain in search of Sabrina Lake. The views were outstanding. Sabrina Lake was frozen over, with huge cracks in the surface of the ice. Every day they release a foot of water to provide irrigation for the valley which causes the surface ice to crack in the most artistic way. I met the nicest elderly couple while walking around the lake. We talked of everything and by the time we parted, felt like they were old friends. Bishop Creek is still surrounded by snow, but that didn't stop me from trudging through the snow with my new hiking pole, to view the creek. It was exquisite."In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.