Saturday, May 7, 2011

Convict Lake, Sierra Nevada Mountains, California

I spent the weekend camping at Convict Lake in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, right outside of Mammoth. I was delighted to find this little site right on the stream with such a great view of the mountains. I was extremely tired and cold the night before and went straight to bed without lighting my fire. In the morning the wind had stopped so I was able to enjoy the morning with a warm campfire.
My tiny little coffee pot lovin' life in the Sierras! Just big enough to make 2 medium sized cups of fresh hot Joe to start the morning with.
It was such a pretty morning that I made two pots of coffee and sat by the fire, watching the morning come to life. Birds were singing, the stream was gurgling, seagulls screeched above me, and one by one, the guys at the end of my cul-de-sac made their way up to the bathrooms. This was my first time I was able to wear a normal pair of shoes, my Ugh boots! My foot hardly hurt at all.
The view from my campsite; a small stream flowed in front of me, barren trees with tiny spring buds lined the water and the snow covered mountains in the distance.
In the late afternoon I went to the lodge to drink coffee and take a shower. First shower in over a week; that felt good. After my shower, I took the trail around the lake and soaked my foot in the ice cold water when it started hurting. The lake is a fisherman's paradise with guys lining the shore and some out on the lake in small boats. Whenever I passed someone they always asked, "Catch any fish?" I always said no, that I wasn't fishing. They were shocked and couldn't understand why I didn't like smelly old fish and blood and guts, and squirmy worms.

The trail normally goes all the way around the lake, but snow on the other side blocks the trail beyond the boardwalk. The boardwalk traverses several small streams that flow down the mountain into the lake. My first time on this trail was in June, 2005 and all the Aspen trees you see near the boardwalk were bursting with fresh green leaves, each one moving independently in the wind while the streams flowing down the mountain were covered in ice.

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.