Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Mt. Whitney Portal, California

I woke up early enough to catch the spectacular morning sunrise over Grays Meadow in Independence. One thing I learned from the photographers campout I attended is that you have to be there to get the shot; in other words, get out of bed, girlfriend. Grays Meadow, where I camped, is one of the prettiest places on earth; endless meadow, rugged mountains, dark green pines. This shot was taken just after sunrise, while the morning was still fresh and brimming with sweet anticipation. My fellow campers getting ready for a bike ride up to Onion Valley; Bill and Teresa, Brad and Cindy. We all gathered at Ricks the night before to sit in front of a smoky fire and tell stories; anything from getting run off the road on the bikes to grizzly bears tearing your face off. Cindy had the most amazing story of encountering a herd of buffalo heading directly towards them while she and Brad were out on the bike; that girl has guts!Bill and Brad in front of their toy hauler; a fun group who even sang Knocking on Heavens Door with me at the bonfire. Now I was just drinking coffee, but I did see a few shots going down and more than one brewsky! Rick, the antler man. This guy is a retired police officer who spent each and every day hiking for up to 20 miles watching for wildlife and rattlesnakes while searching for antler sheds. He had some great stories to tell and is a wealth of information for the surrounding area. Thank you, Rick!
Springtime in the Sierras proved to be a memorable experience. On my way up to the Whitney Portal, I stumbled upon this native plant garden next to the Independence museum. A quiet, peaceful place filled with native plants and a gorgeous view of the Sierras. The road up to the Whitney Portal is long and winding, all uphill, but absolutely stunning. That would be Mt. Whitney, 14,495 feet, give or take a few. The Portal is the starting point for the Mt. Whitney trail, a very popular trail that takes hikers to the summit of Mt. Whitney. Once I reached the portal, my broken foot kept me from hiking, but I didn't have any trouble hobbling over to this sparkling, cascading waterfall. I was pleased to find something so beautiful and felt blessed with God's graciousness. That would be me in my "boot" standing near the waterfall. It is so cold at night that the water freezes into icicles, covering the branches that overhang the stream, sparkling like precious jewels in the sunlight. A place to sit and contemplate the wonder of God's creation. "How great is our God!" Frozen branches hanging over the water, each one reflecting light.
Reflections in water always fascinate me.

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.