Sunday, July 3, 2011

Sequoia National Park, California

First trip to Sequoia National Park for my grandsons, Wyatt and Ethan. We had a great time in spite of the snow!
The boys were very impressed to make it to the top of Morro Rock!
Ethan and Wyatt climbing up the staircase to the top of the mountain.
Lodgepole campground had areas that were still covered in snow; fortunately our campsite was comfortable and dry.A beautiful, clear river runs through the campground, a perfect place for young boys to play!One afternoon a bear ran right through our campground. Ethan and Wyatt were in the car shouting, "Bear," and it startled me so much that I almost forgot to run and get my camera!

Indian graffiti at Hospital Rock; some things never change.
The Sentinel Tree in front of the Giant Forest Museum is 257 feet tall! One big dude!
Ethan, looking just like his daddy, Jon.

Wyatt, standing in the trunk of a giant Sequoia.

Every afternoon, several deer walked through our campground in Lodgepole. Kind of a strange feeling to see them so close.
Me and the boys lovin' life in Crescent Meadow.
Me, Stan and the boys took a hike around Crescent Meadow. Three bear foraging in the meadow scared the living daylights out of me!
The boys in the shadow of the giants.
Tharp's Log; a weird house built into a huge log, with a fireplace, kitchen and bed. The boys wanted to live there. They were certain it was Tharp who had set the fires that burned so many of the trees.
My friend Stan and the boys measuring the trunk of the tree.
Climbing this tree was quite an experience!
We saw three more bears in the meadow on the trail in the Giant Forest. By the end of the trip, I was so done with bears.
Close enough to give me a heart attack!
Colorful rocks in the waterfall at Buckeye Flat.
Me dunking Wyatt in the ice cold water at Buckeye.
We had no idea that this waterfall would be at the end of our trail. What a surprise!
Boys testing the water....as usual.
Wyatt sliding down a natural rock slide.
The water was so cold we couldn't just jump in, so I held onto the boys feet and slowly let them slide down into the water!
Ethan crashed his bike in the Buckeye Flat Campground. He was racing down the hill and lost control and smashed into a rock, flew off of his bike and slid into a tree. Thank God he had his helmet on and walked away, alive and well; a real life miracle. New friends the boys made at the campground.

Ethan at Hospital Rock wanting me to hurry up and take the picture so he could run off exploring! Takes after me, I suppose. Hiding under a cave where the Native Americans used to roam.End of a perfect week at the Sequoias!

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.