Monday, April 2, 2012

Arches National Park, Utah

On my way into Arches National Park, I stopped to view Wilson Arch, a massive arch just outside of Moab. I was very hot, tired and hungry, but it was worth the stop. I started looking for a campsite along the Colorado River, but everything was completely full. Discouraged I drove back to Moab and pulled into this strange parking lot and slept for a while. Feeling strange, I drove back out to the River and parked on the outskirts of one of the campsites, crawled into the back of my car and slept until day break.
The next morning as soon as I saw people getting ready to leave, I drove up and asked if I could have their site. They cheerfully agreed and I sat in the hot sun waiting until they packed up and left. It was worth the wait, as it was a beautiful site overlooking the Colorado River. This early morning view shows the red cliffs reflecting in the water.
My humble campsite overlooking the river. I spent time exploring Moab, baking in the sun and visiting Arches National Park. I must say it was so darn hot I had to drench myself in icy cold water from a natural spring and lay on the slab of wet rock in order to cool down. I didn't care if the people thought I was strange. It cooled me down and that was more important.
The Park Avenue trail in Arches leads you past monster size sandstone fins and spires that have slowly eroded over time.

It is hard to comprehend the size of this monolith, but it is mind boggling standing in front of it.

Balanced rock, a 128 foot spire that has eroded into this strange egg shape that appears to be balancing on the spire.

That would be me in front of Double Arch. I asked an older gentleman to take my picture; not a good idea. Not only because it gave him the wrong idea, but he adjusted my camera and I didn't realize why it suddenly went out of focus. It took me two days of ruined pictures before I realized how to fix it. So sad......

Double Arch, a grouping of two arches entwined together like lovers in the sand. Enough said, time to move on. My brain is baked with the hot sun and misbehaving. Good night one and all!

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.