Saturday, April 7, 2012

Grand Staircase-Escalante, Utah

I was quite surprised to find snow and 28 degree weather on my way to Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. I had just left Capitol Reef with its balmy weather, flowering fruit trees and wide grassy meadows. Wasn't expecting that one!
After stopping for coffee at the Kiva Koffeehouse, I miraculously found a campsite at Calf Creek Falls Recreation Area. The whole place was completely full and I was so disappointed. I was turning around in the loop and lo and behold a group of kids pulled out and I pulled into the only campsite with a shade shelter!
Early morning reflections of hillside opposite my campsite.
The creek flowed behind my site and after a bit of mucking about, I found an open area and took this picture.
On my hike up to Calf Creek Falls, a snake slithered by me on the trail. I stopped and heard a rustling in the dry leaves on the side of the trail. Hoping to see a little bird, I was utterly shocked to see several snakes poke their heads up out of the leaves.
Pretty soon I saw so many snakes slithering in the leaves, twisting and turning and writhing about. I figured it was a winter snake den that was coming out of hibernation. Very, very freaky.
The snakes just kept popping up and looking about, like they wanted to cross the path but were waiting for me to get the heck out of there. I stepped away from the den and immediately seven snakes slithered out across the trail. There were still copious amounts of snakes slithering about in the leaves but I had enough and moved on.
Further up the trail I saw this pictograph painted on the cliff by the Fremont Indians about 800 years ago. From the trail the cliff looks so huge and the painting looks so tiny, like about an inch high but they are actually very large.
The trail passes by Calf Creek, massive red rock cliffs, sage brush, willows, horsetail reeds, oak and cottonwood trees before reaching the waterfall.
The hike was 7 miles round trip, a bit much for me, but the magnificent scenery made it all worthwhile.
The very top of Calf Creek Falls; a 126 foot waterfall that splashes down into a shallow pool, deep enough to swim in.
This is my second visit to the falls and I am still spellbound by the beauty and majesty displayed here.
Gorgeous color is painted all over the cliffs; lime green moss, black desert varnish, orange rust, creamy pink and white minerals.
Spring was just bursting out all over the place; the trees were budding, the birds were singing, the animals were emerging.....sounds like Snow White was here.
On my way out of the monument, I stopped and hiked down into the canyon. Huge areas are covered with slickrock, fine white sand, volcanic boulders, scruffy looking juniper and pinyon pine trees.
I drove right by Bryce National Park, delighted to hike up into the park from the back side.
That would be me, standing on the bridge, smiling for some unknown stranger.
Beautiful Bryce; but that is another story all together. Good night one and all. I am off to find a place to sleep in Barstow, of all places and will drive up to see my son, Jon tomorrow. Happy Easter!

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.