Thursday, April 12, 2012

Zion National Park, Utah

My last stop of my marathon trip through the southwest was in Zion National Park. My friend Tom took this shot of me taking a snooze during a long hike in the canyon. It's tough getting old.... Scarlet paintbrush looked so pretty blooming on the hillsides.
 This was the first time I was able to catch this arch-like alcove on the east side of Zion National Park in perfect sunlight.
When I first arrived in Zion, I decided to explore out of the way places that I had never seen. I wandered up this dry wash and found it to be quite interesting. I walked all the way up to the end, where I sat on a slab of rock and listened to the birds.
After Tom arrived, we went into side canyons, slot canyons and dry washes, all places I had never seen. I saw numerous animal tracks both large and small, undulating curves in the cliffs that looked like stone waves and colorful stones piled up in the sand. The colors in the rock walls changed with the light, sometimes glowing red-orange and other times a deep bronze.
This was my first time to see the Desert Bighorn Sheep! This fellow was up on the cliff calling to the group in the picture below. I couldn't tell if he wanted to cross the street and join them or if he was calling them back to join him.
The sheep could hear him calling and seemed undecided about what to do. Pretty soon they all got up and started walking towards the one at the top.
Rich, warm color makes the canyon such a beautiful place.
On my first morning after exploring the dry wash, I walked up the river, enjoying the peace and quiet.
At the very top of the picture you can see the arch-like alcove that I posted above. It gives you an idea of the massive size of this place.
There are so many strange curves, shapes and colors down in the canyon that it creates quite a feast for the eye!  The Towers of the Virgin behind the Museum at Zion National Park; one of the prettiest places in the park.

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.