Monday, October 22, 2018

Gateway Arch National Park, St. Louis, Missouri


 
 My recent trip to Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado, was followed by a lot of driving through Kansas and then into Missouri. It was late afternoon when I reached St. Louis and made my way down to Gateway Arch National Park. It made me nervous as I really didn't know where I was and found my Google Maps taking me through a ghetto. Graffiti covered the walls and broken down buildings. I said to myself, I've been through worse and kept going.  Once I arrived at the river, everything was fine and I found a covered parking lot with an attendant where I left my Subee. First thing I encountered was this gorgeous bridge spanning the Mississippi River!
 To my surprise, on February 22, 2018, President Trump signed the papers making Gateway Arch National Park our 60th National Park!  Visit the link Gateway Arch National Park for more information about the park. Of course I had to visit Gateway, and planned my whole 3-week trip around this particular park. In my quest to see all of the National Parks, this is Park #59 for me!!!!! Only one left to go, American Samoa.
 The whole place was overwhelming to say the least. I felt so vulnerable and unsure of my self during my visit there. New things always intimidate me, but I had set my mind to go to Gateway Arch, so sure enough I was going! This was my first glimpse of the famous arch.
A beautiful walkway along the river is very lively with boats chugging down the river and people of all ages walking, running and driving those crazy motorized scooters down the walkway.
As I walked along the river, I found this giant staircase leading up to the arch. 
It is difficult to imagine how large Gateway Arch really is until you try to take a picture of it! I tried every angle, even looking straight up at it, but eventually had to move a great distance up the hill to get the whole image.
Gateway Arch was originally known as the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial,  and was built as  a memorial to Thomas Jefferson's role in opening the west as well as a tribute to the pioneers who shaped its history. A beautiful new museum below the arch tells the story in great detail. The arch itself is 630 feet tall and is the world's tallest arch. It was built on the original founding site of the city of St. Louis, Missouri and was completed in 1965.
Clouds always comfort me, even rain clouds. These gorgeous clouds helped accentuate the beauty in the tall buildings.
 The city surrounding the arch is a blend of the very old and the ultra modern, the well groomed park and the broken down, graffiti covered ghetto. The building with the dome was built in 1864 and served as the St. Louis County Courthouse, the very place where Dred Scott sued for his personal freedom. The building now belongs to the National Park Service and is open for touring. If you look carefully in the lower left hand side of the picture, I captured a bride to be, getting her professional wedding pictures photographed!
I always love reflections, and I found this reflection of the city on one of the buildings in the city. It was all very beautiful!
Eero Saarinen was the Finish-American architect who designed the arch. There is a tram system built into the arch that goes to the top of the arch where there are viewing windows to look out over the city. I actually had tickets for the tram and the river cruise, but I woke up the next morning with a migraine and knew I would never make it to the top. I think it was all too claustrophobic, too new, and way too scary. I needed someone with me, but there was no one. Sometimes I just need to say I can't do it, and back down.  Even if I don't accomplish all of my goal, I always learn something.
 The Mississippi River flows right by the Arch and is as pretty as it is long.
The newly renovated, bronze, 9000 pound  statue known as "The Captain Returns" commemorates the 200th anniversary of the return of Lewis and Clark. It is breathtaking.
 After leaving Gateway Arch National Park, I drove through the city, over to my campsite in Eureka, Missouri.
 A final good night from my campsite. As the sun set, the trees were covered in shadow, and my heart  was finally at rest. God bless you, one and all.

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.