Saturday, October 20, 2018

Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado




The majestic Colorado River is a sight to behold. On my way to Rocky Mountain National Park, I drove along the Colorado River for quite some time. In this picture it looks very still, but there are places in the river with rapids and rushing water that entices rafters of all ages to ride the river. I stopped several different times along the way, and at one point a whole group of excited kids and several adults were putting in their raft. I was glad I was not with them! Been there, done that.
 It took me several days to get to Idaho Springs in Colorado where I encountered a street fair, with music, food, booths and fun! From there I drover up the State Road 72 past Nederland and stayed at a free Forest Service Campground. In order to get to it, me and the Subee had to off-road down some terribly, bumpy dirt roads until I found a  campsite. It was late in the afternoon when I heard some branches breaking and looked up to see a moose in the distance. 
It was quite shocking to see the moose, as my campground wasn't  even in the National Park. By the time I found my camera the moose was gone. I went about my business and was flossing my teeth when in walked the moose, just like he owned the place. Even though he was young, he was as big as a horse. With my camera in hand, I snapped a couple pictures of my afternoon visitor.
After one night of peaceful quiet, I continued driving up State Road 72 to CO-7 and took that all the way into Estes Park. On the way in, I spotted this house-castle-church building, and jumped out to take some pictures. The place was quiet, not a soul in sight. Feeling like Nancy Drew, I scouted around and walked back towards the mountains to see what it was like. All very strange.
Finally I made my way into Rocky Mountain National Park! Of course there was a festival of some sort down in Estes Park, so before I went to my campsite, I walked around town and ate steamed Edamame topped with soy sauce and sesame seeds, and looked at all the booths. Very fun. 
At the Moraine Park Campground, I had a great campsite that overlooked the Moraine Valley.  This park is very popular, so if you plan on going, get a reservation or you won't get in! Click this link: Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado to go directly to the National Park Service page for Rocky Mountain National Park and you will find all the camping information you need. 
The National Parks are so busy now, that it is always wise to go to the National Park Service sites on the web before you go to any park, and get all the info. The fall is especially beautiful at Rocky Mountain National Park, and is also the time of year the elk gather to mate. Another reason to go!
 Fall color ranged from dark and light green, yellow, gold, orange, red and brown! I felt like I was feasting on color every day I was there.
 At times the skies were filled with great big cumulus clouds that only made the blue sky look bluer. That would be me sitting on a rock, while on my hike up to Emerald Lake. I always meet the nicest people while hiking and feel so accepted by our warm conversations.
 One of my favorite places in Rocky Mountain National Park is anywhere along the Big Thompson River. It is one of the most beautiful places that I have encountered. very peaceful, yet full of life.
 My friend, the Magpie, a very social bird, very inquisitive. Magies are close relatives of both jays and crows, and have very similar characteristics. This one kept an eye out for any speck of food that was dropped near my table.
 On one of my hikes I spotted this group of golden aspen shining against the dark gray cliffs. 
 A male elk with his harem of females strolled through or near my campsite every day. He was very vocal and was always bossing the girls around, calling and huffing and bugling to get their attention. 
 A male elk on his way to the valley, where the real battles for the females took place. The males would call out to the females, it is called bugling, and try to get them to join his group. Other males would either challenge the big elk with the girls, or just strut around looking good. Several times a new male would come in and the girls would flock to him and leave their old love behind. Mostly it was just a lot of huffing and puffing and demonstrating their bravado that won the females.
 Right below my campsite, was the meadow and the Big Thompson River. So pretty in both the morning and the evening.
 It rained nearly every day I was there, which also resulted in rainbows! This one turned into a double rainbow as I was taking pictures. So pretty!

This bull elk looks like he's giving me the business for taking his picture. Actually he is bugling, If you have never heard an elk bugle you can click on this link Elk Bugle to hear them belch, bugle,. huff and puff.  There are different reasons for different sounds. Whatever noise they make, stay away from them! They can be dangerous,  especially during the rut. All these pictures were taken with my long lens, from very far away.
 At times it seems like the males feel safe in the campground, which may be why they bring their females up there to graze. It was breathtaking.
 A beautiful pink sky after a light snowfall. So incredible.
 On another hike up to Alberta Falls, I could see the storm clouds coming in. I encountered rain and then a hard hail that felt like sand blowing into my face.
 At Alberta Falls, I met a nice young lady who took my picture, while sitting on the rocks. 
 Alberta Falls, a scenic 30ft waterfall that thunders down a small gorge on Glacier Creek. One of the places I recommend visiting if you ever get to Rocky Mountain National Park! 
 Snow on the mountains, snow in the forecast, a 29 degree nighttime low predicted for my last day in the park. I decided to leave a day early and miss the crowds trying to escape the inevitable snowstorm. 
 On my last day in the park, I drove the Trail Ridge Road up to an elevation over 12,000 feet. The fog rolled in making it difficult to drive. I stopped at Rock Cut and hiked out on the Tundra Communities Trail, reminiscing about my time there in 2005, when I cried my guts out over my divorce. It was and still is a good place to be cleansed.  The harsh elements seem to scour one clean. However on my last day in the park I had no need to cry, but only rejoice over all the healing and restoration in my life.
Along the Tundra Communities Trail, this section is called Mushroom Rocks. The fog lifted just enough for me to get a picture, but just at that point it started hailing. If it had been clear, I could have looked over to the other side and seen Longs Peak. I was freezing and being pelted by hail, so I turned around and headed back to my car.
Good night to one and all! May God be with you and yours. Susan Little

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.