Sunday, October 23, 2011

Autumn in Oak Glen, California

Today I drove up to Oak Glen to visit my son Jon; I don't get to see him that often so every time I do it makes me very happy! After our visit I stopped in the little apple town which was right in the middle of an Apple Festival. Nearly all the ranches were open and had vendors selling everything from original jewelry and artwork to tiny donuts dusted in sugar and BBQ Pulled Pork sandwiches.
Pumpkins were piled up in old carriages, people were eating buttered corn on the cob fresh off the grill, several Blue Grass bands were entertaining the crowds and little kids were jumping in Bounce Houses and riding ponies.
Every time I see Indian Corn I think of the gorgeous display I had arranged on my front porch complete with Indian Corn, gourds, a scarecrow and baskets. In the morning when I walked out the front door, the Indian Corn had been stripped clean by nocturnal rats!
This kind of candy is more fun to look at then eat; give me a piece of good chocolate any day of the week and I am a happy camper.
Small gift stores were loaded to the brim with produce, baked goods, holiday knick-knacks and even 1-gallon potted apple trees to bring home and grow in your own garden.
Bright orange pumpkin, still on the vine, patiently waiting to be picked!
I found a great organic fruit and vegetable store that sold fresh produce, pumpkins, gourds and candy. One table was piled high with loaves of homemade bread; apple, whole wheat and Garlic Sourdough. Couldn't pass that by and ending buying a huge loaf of Sourdough Bread and eating several pieces in the car.
Sweet corn, still on the stalk; my kids always make fun of me when I get excited about seeing how fruit and vegetables look while they are growing. To me its incredible to see real corn growing on a stalk. This one is for you David!
Freshly made caramel apples; doesn't get much better than this!
Nearly all the apples have been harvested so there were no "pick your own" apple orchards open. But this orchard had boxes of fruit and several juicers for people to make their own apple juice.
After washing the apples, they picked the ones they wanted and placed them in a basket.
Then folks loaded the apples into this juicer and slowly turned the handle until the juice filled up a clean gallon container. It tasted like nectar from heaven; so sweet, fresh and tangy all at the same time.
Good night to all; sleep well. Know that God is watching over you and that He loves you. Keep the faith. Susan Little

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.