Saturday, October 15, 2011

Carlsbad State Beach, California

In October I spent a week at my timeshare in Carlsbad State Beach in north county San Diego. My sister and her husband Tom came down to visit me. It was so much fun!
We spent one afternoon browsing through Old Town, an old restored Mexican town in San Diego. Many of the original buildings are still intact, plus the streets are lined with restaurantes, quaint shops and booths.
My father was pure Mexican and my mother was white, so I do have a bit of salsa in my veins. I love the garish colors, costumes, huge paper flowers and mariachi music displayed in the Mexican culture.
Colorful blankets to keep you warm at night. Tom bought a blanket to bring home and surpised me with a hand painted metal butterfly!

That would be me, smiling for the camera!
My dear sister Judy and her husband Tom; wonderful friends, family and confidants.
The Day of the Dead is a strange Mexican celebration that actually celebrates the life of their ancestors, but is filled with strange skeletons doing all sorts of unusual things.
That would be me and Tom smiling for Judy.
Early one morning I woke up early enough to catch the sunrise at the beach. A glorious experience, each time it happens.


To me, surfing is a lot like fishing; a lot of time waiting around for something to happen.

It was so nice to have my family come down and join me here at the beach. This is my son Isaac and his girlfriend Ashley on the patio overlooking the ocean. At night we kept the patio door open and listened to the waves crashing on the shore. Several nights we were able to stand on the deck and watch the luminescent red tide glowing in the water, each time the waves broke.
A group of funny looking Least Terns roamed the shores and had no trouble mixing in with the seagulls and sandpipers. Sandpipers come in all shapes and sizes; this one has a long beak and very long legs; the one below was a smaller version, that skittered about in the tide on those long legs of his.

Jagged lines of Pelicans skim the water looking for fish. They fly in an awkward V shape, at times with over 40-50 birds in one formation.
Beautiful Bird of Paradise; a royal flower, elegant in color, shape and form.
One night the sunset was so incredibly gorgeous. My brother Tom called out to me and told me to come and see it. I grabbed my camera and raced out to the patio; unfortunately in my hurry I did not open the screen door, but crashed right through it, knocking it completely off the track and nearly over the deck railing. I was completely stunned and sat down, but managed to snap this photo.
Seagulls in all shapes, size and color.

My two grandsons, Ethan and Wyatt, running up and down the beach, full of joy and energy. Oh to be so young!
“High in the sunlight they hover above the surging sea ... The whirling, screaming, light-winged birds ... alternately climb the air and plunge like plummets straight down into the waves – rising again and again, fluttering, poising, screaming, striking ... shooting down into the angry waves. They played with gale and sea. Rising, they shook the brine from their feathers, and towering high, hovered a moment, breasting the gale; then setting their wings like long, barbed spearheads, plunged again and yet again.” Edward Forbush
An early October morning at Carlsbad State Beach; quiet, peaceful, sublime beauty.
My sister Judy and her husband Tom with my two grandkids; we had a blast hanging out together, cooking meals, playing music, going out to dinner, watching the waves and drinking coffee; however we are still teaching Tommy how to make a strong cup of coffee!
The Ghost Flower, "Sacred Datura;" seductive, fragile and deadly poisonous. The flowers bloom prolifically on the sandy hillsides overlooking the beach and last only a few hours in the early morning or late evening.
Hope your days are full of joy, peace and rest; look for life and you will find it.

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.