Thursday, November 3, 2011

Oahu, Hawaii

Aloha from Hawaii! This is the last day of my vacation in Oahu, an extravagant birthday gift from Georgette. The two of us spent a wonderful week at a luxury resort right on the Nai'a Lagoon.
Me and Georgette, in the lobby of the Ko Olina Beach Resort. Thank you, Mom for a wonderful vacation!

One night we spent the evening at the Moana Surfrider relaxing on the patio under the Banyan Tree. The sun cast a rosy glow on the buildings as it sank into the ocean. A group of two musicians serenaded us with Hawaiian music and a gorgeous young Hawaiian girl danced the hula; a hypnotic, graceful dance that left us spellbound.
After a trip to the North Shore, we stopped at the Dole Plantation and ate soft serve Pineapple Ice Cream with all the Asian tourists. At the plantation I bought the best pineapple; sweet, juicy and very flavorful.
One day we spent up at the tip of the North Shore in Turtle Bay. Wyland, one of my favorite artists, left his mark on the front of the hotel; a simple line drawing of sea turtles swimming.
After eating lunch overlooking this gorgeous vista, I put on my swim suit and went for a walk up the coast. I loved investigating all the interesting things on shore; tide pools, volcanic rocks, pieces of coral, sticks and unusual shells.

It started pouring shortly after this picture was shot, and I was dripping wet, even though I never got in the ocean. Back at the restaurant Georgette looked at me and said, "Your swimsuit is on backwards!" I looked and sure enough it was, looking very strange indeed. Can't take me anywhere.
Fiery torches lighting the night; you can almost hear the waves lapping upon the shore.
Nearly every morning before the sun came up, I took a walk along the coast. After wandering off the walkway and crawling over sharp rocks and volcanic boulders, I found this secluded cove that satisfied my need for quiet.

The Hawaiian wind swaying through the palm trees.
Our resort overlooked the Nai'a Lagoon; awesome for swimming at any time of the day.



Windy, warm day on the North Shore; turquoise waters, sandy beaches but small waves.
Pure Hawaii.....enjoyed every moment.
One morning I walked over to the new Disney resort; typical Disney, loud, garish, and filled with Asian families.
Feeding frenzy at the Koi Pond. The man himself, or is it the mouse?


On my birthday, we ate dinner at a nice restaurant overlooking the ocean. We dined on fresh salmon and exotic vegetables while watching this amazing sunset. Got soaked in the rain one morning while walking, but did catch this yellow hibiscus, sparkling with raindrops.


Each morning I woke up to this gorgeous view from the patio outside our room.
The Nai'a Lagoon at sunset.

Hawaii is filled with the most amazing plants, trees and flowers. These seed pods fascinated me and I dearly wanted to bring them home. Of course that was impossible due to Customs regulations, so instead of breaking the law and ending up in hot water, I took them to the shore and created this picture.
The Nai'a Lagoon in the early morning hours.
Fun, friendly guy working on the palm trees.
Double rainbow during a morning rain.
Christmas colors in the leaves; beautiful Hawaii!
Red Ginger flower growing at the resort.
"Aloha ke Ahua... God is Love." Daniel "Kaniela" Akaka, Jr.

I think I love the swaying palm trees the best. I could sit for hours watching the gentle movement and listen to the birds chattering and the waves breaking upon the shore.


"Somehow, the love of the islands, like the love of a woman, just happens. One cannot determine in advance to love a particular woman, nor can one so determine to love Hawaii." Jack London

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.