Monday, June 7, 2010

Zion National Park in Utah, Bryce Canyon National Park in Utah, Grand Canyon National Park in Arizona

Me and my dear friend Dale, who I went to visit at the Grand Canyon. He loves the outdoors as much as I do, and loves taking pictures, exploring the desert, finding new, out of the way places and living and working in the National Parks. I miss you already, Dale!
Zion National Park is one of my favorite places. My first night out I stayed at the South Campground in the last available campsite for the evening. It was a walk in site, but well worth the walk as you can see. The Watchman is that cool mountain jutting up in the middle; I always feel safe when I camp underneath it.
The landscape in Zion is huge, overwhelming, magnificent. It makes me feel very small as I stand at the bottom of the canyon and look up into the red rock cliffs.
The Riverside Walk takes you through the canyon and along the Virgin River; very refreshing, very healing. After leaving Zion, I drove over to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon to visit my friend Dale. On either side of the road out to the Rim, beautiful green meadows, pools of water from the snow melt and forests of white aspen and dark green pine flourish. Deer frequent the meadow, along with the occasional buffalo, hawks, ravens and other wildlife. The first glow of sunset pink over the Grand.
Dale and I drove out to Lees Ferry, where most people take off to raft down the canyon. We ate lunch overlooking the Colorado River, then explored an old fort, orchard, ranch house and pioneer graveyard.
"Find peace, health, wholeness, connection, and completion in the small miracles." Mohawk/Onondaga
That would be me loving life at the Rim.
Navajo Bridge overlooking the Colorado River. Incredible feeling walking over the bridge and looking down into the blue green water so very far below.
Dale took me out to Cape Royal to watch the sun set over Wotan's Throne. It was magnificent. Much to my delight, he also gave me a photography lesson! Here's hoping for better pictures!
That would be me, sitting on the rock overlooking the canyon.
The end of a perfect day.
After leaving the Grand, I drove through Red Canyon located on the way to Bryce Canyon National Park in Utah.
Bryce Canyon is filled with dark green pine trees, crazy red rock hoodoos, spires, fins and arches.
An incredible place to just look and think.
"If the desert is holy, it is because it is a forgotten place that allows us to be sacred. Perhaps that is why every pilgrimage to the desert is a pilgrimage to the self. There is no place to hide and so we are found." Terry Tempest Williams Bryce is not just about red rocks, but has beautiful meadows, pine forests, open vistas and lots of fresh air.
On my way to Glacier National Park, I tried to make it to Butte, Montana, but crashed and burned in this beautiful campground. A huge pile of driftwood was sitting by the fire pit, so I built me a fire, played my guitar and fell asleep in my warm little car just as it started to rain.Good night to you; sweet dreams and may God watch over you and bless you. “I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; for you alone O Lord, make me dwell in safety. Psalm 4:8

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.