Monday, June 21, 2010

Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada

For the last week or so, me and my friend Jenny have been wandering around Banff and Jasper National Parks in Alberta Canada, camping in the rain, hiking on the trails and building huge fires in the campgrounds. Peyto Lake was one of the most beautiful lakes I have ever seen; so crystal blue.


“I gave my heart to the mountains the minute I stood beside this river with its spray in my face and watched it thunder into foam.” Walace Stegner


One misty morning in Banff I drove out to this meadow and took this picture.


Moul Falls is a gorgeous waterfall in Wells Gray Provincial Park. We hiked down to the base and stood in the mist; an exhilarating experience to say the least.
Wild, wonderful freedom.....
Standing in the mist I experienced intense joy that bubbled up from deep down inside and burst out in a whoop and a shout that could be heard throughout the canyon!
My dear friend Jenny; a wonderful woman married to a wonderful man. Jenny and Sully currently live in Hawaii but are in transition; uncomfortable but challenging.
Sweet smelling Canada Rose.



My favorite lake, Moraine Lake is a glacially-fed lake in Banff National Park that is not far from Lake Louise. It was exquisite walking to the end of the lake, exploring the lake shore and rock art along the way. You were right John, this is the prettiest lake!
The glacial lakes are such a pretty color of blue from the "glacier flour" which is ground up bits of rock and silt that enter the water and reflect the beautiful blue-green color.
That would be me at Peyto Lake, an absolutely gorgeous blue lake fed by glaciers. When I first saw the lake, I thought it was fake, but then the deep blue water, snow covered mountains and cloudy sky were all too real. There is no trail down to the lake, just forests; that didn't stop Jenny who was soon scrambling down the hill only to come upon a huge bear print. Needless to say she scrambled right back up!
One evening in Jasper National Park, we were desperate for a campground and while searching we passed the Snaring River. Reflections always fascinate me, so I stopped and took a few pictures. We arrived in Whistlers Campground, on National Aboriginal Day. The local aboriginal Mountain Cree were holding a celebration in the campground that I attended. This handsome young man is the main speaker at the event. It was so beautiful to watch the women in their colorful costumes swirl and twirl to the beat of drums.
Two of the male dancers, totally engrossed in the dance.


This woman reminded me of what Pocahontas would have looked like; pure beauty and grace.


On the way into Jasper I saw this black bear on the side of the road. Yes, we did stay in the car!


In Banff we took a hike up to Johnston Canyon Falls, a rushing, wild waterfall.


Beautiful spring flowers blooming in Jasper.


Crow Foot Glacier in the Columbia Icefields on the way to Jasper. Cold, crisp and exciting.
Beautiful ice cold lake on the way to the Icefields.
The views in the Icefields are so intense you cannot even comprehend what you are seeing.
" O Canada! Our home and native land! With glowing hearts we see thee rise, the True North strong and free! From far and wide, O Canada, we stand on guard for thee. God keep our land glorious and free! O Canada, we stand on guard for thee."


Lake Louise, an unbelievable beauty nestled in the mountains. Very crowded, very breathtaking, very impressive






Wildlife corridors are built over the highways to allow the animals safe passage. I had heard about them, but to see them was such a blessing. It is so exciting to see Canada value the natural resources and take care to protect them.
Right next to the Wildlife Corridor, I spotted two grizzly on the other side of the fence. The fence is built to keep the animals off the freeway after they cross over!
Self Portrait in Banff National Park! I am having fun with my tripod!

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.