Friday, June 11, 2010

Glacier National Park, Montana

For the last week I have been camping at Glacier National Park; an outrageously beautiful place in Montana near the border of Alberta, Canada.
One afternoon I took the hike out to St. Mary Falls and found it to be one of the most breathtaking waterfalls I have ever seen.
Wildflowers were blooming, snow was in the mountains, Iceberg Lake was slushy and it rained for five days straight. I still got out and hiked but it was cold, wet and gray.
That would be me sitting in front of my campfire and trying out my new tripod and self timer! The campground at Many Glacier is awesome; filled with aspen, pine, rugged mountains and sits right on the river.
The last day, the weather cleared and I was able to snap this photo of the river right in front of my campsite.
One evening this baby moose and his mama walked right through the campground! Evenings tended to stretch on forever as it didn't get dark until almost 11:00 pm!
Signs are posted everywhere warning of the dangers of wild and crazy animals. I encountered quite a few of them during my stay.
While out on a hike up to Iceberg Lake, I came across two grizzlies foraging in the meadow below me. I did my bear prayers, snapped a couple pictures and hightailed it down the mountain.
These bad boys are big and dangerous; but at the same time terribly exciting. Why are we so attracted to the wild side?
Bighorn Sheep can be seen on the mountainside and occasionally walking through the parking lot at the Lodge!
The Many Glacier Hotel is a historic old building overlooking Swiftcurrent Lake. It was built between 1910 and 1915, and for a cougar, still looks good!
When it got too cold and wet outside, I stopped in at the Hotel and drank Lattes in front of the massive fireplace.
View of the Many Glacier Hotel from the hillside.


Meadows that stretched on forever and seemed to eventually blend in with the sky.
Deer were on nearly every trail I took as well as roaming through the campgrounds each evening.
On Saturday the rain finally stopped and blue sky appeared!
The Going to the Sun Road runs from East Glacier to West Glacier and has some incredible hiking trails and views. Wild Goose Island in the middle of the lake looked so serene in the midst of steel gray sky and clouds, rugged mountains and dark green pines.
One evening the rain cleared and I caught this translucent rainbow shining in the clouds.
Incredibly peaceful view in front of my campsite at Many Glacier Campground.
While hiking up to Red Rock Falls, I looked to the side and was surprised by this young male moose looking at me!
It is hard to describe the exhilarating feeling you get out on the trails in such a beautiful place.
Sometimes the little things can be even more powerful than the larger than life experiences!
One morning I was standing under a tree waiting for the rain to clear and trying to decide whether or not to get out on the trail. An older couple came by and stopped and looked at me. Immediately they encouraged me to join them. Needless to say, I did and enjoyed their company all the way to Redrock Falls.
When I first arrived at Glacier I stayed at Two Medicine Campground; surrounded by the Blackfeet Nation, enormous mountains, rivers, lakes, trees, wildlife and unfortunately ticks! I picked two off my neck and had to have the very cute, young Ranger look at my neck to see if they broke the surface. That was a little weird.
While out on a hike around the lake, I sat down to eat my apple. When I looked up, this mama moose was staring at me.
The stream beds, rivers and land are filled with these gorgeous colorful rocks.
View from my campsite at Two Medicine.For all the birdwatchers in the world......

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.