Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Silver Falls State Park, Oregon

 Whenever I travel, I always look for those old historic towns that are so different from my own This one was gorgeous, with the old neon signs, the brick  buildings, and of course the Coca Cola signs.
 Traveling this year during the pandemic was a challenge. I had originally planned a 2 month trip that would encompass the coastal redwoods, the beaches, Mt Rainier, and the Olympic peninsula. One by one my reservations were cancelled until all I had left was several weeks in Washington and Oregon.
 Nevertheless, I packed my car, donned my face mask, and set off into northern California. 
I passed through all the burned out forests from that dreadful fire several years ago. It was exciting to see new growth springing up underneath the blackened trees. This view of Mt. Shasta was thrilling, as I don't recall ever stopping and looking at it before. It was hotter than hell that first night, 100 degrees at 8pm! I felt like I was being roasted alive in my Blue Subee!
 After I hit Oregon, the beautiful greenery, mountains, trees, and gray clouds greeted me daily. 
 I stopped in an old town and took pictures of the barn and vast meadows. 

Believe it or not, this is a rest stop in Oregon! I was so pleased to find such pleasant accommodations where I could rest and use the bathroom, as not much was open along the way.
 All that rain is annoying at times, but it sure does make for beautiful trees and flowers!
My new ride, well she is actually a year old. My first time taking her out on a long trip. She did very well, but is forever bossing me around. She beeps at me if I get too close to the lane lines, or if I get too close to either an object or a car directly in front of me, she beeps hysterically. She tells me if I forgot to put on my seatbelt, and she drags me back into the lane if I ever, God forbid, get off course. All the reason I named her Miss Bossypants. Once I let her be in control, everything went fine. 
 At last I arrived at Silver Falls State Park in Oregon, and wasted no time getting out on theTrail of Ten Falls. It rained on and off throughout my whole trip, so I just put on my rain gear, and moved along.
 Lush green leaves, still moist from the rain and spray from the waterfalls. 
 When I saw the first waterfall I couldn't believe my eyes! Huge, glorious and full of vibrant life.
 The trail gives you the option of going down to the water, and walking behind the waterfall. I've only down that several times before, so of course I took the trail and walked behind the massive spray of water. It was very wet and slippery, and as I looked at my feet, clad in my thin tennis shoes, I prayed that God would hold my hand and keep me from falling!
 The views kept getting better and better, and it wasn't hot, so I kept on going.
 Unusual little bell shaped, tiny white flowers. So sweet and precious.
 At times I felt like I was walking through a tropical rain forest, but there were no parrots, monkeys or apes of any kind, no naked natives, only fully clothed people like myself and the birds. 
The crashing water can be heard long before you can see it. This waterfall was amazing!
 I wanted to go down to the water and jump in, but no one else was swimming and I wasn't even sure tit was legal to do so.  I did no jump in the water and simply enjoyed it from a distance.
 Being in the forest gives me a deep peaceful feeling, unlike any other I have ever felt. It's as if all life's worries disappear, and there is only quiet, peace, trees, birds and God. I always sense his presence in the forest. A deep abiding peace that rests upon me and gives me strength.
I kept trying to get a good picture of the wildflowers and the water. Quite stunning indeed.
The campfire at night is always a comfort to me. I usually travel solo, so in a way the fire keeps me company. It crackles, spits, leaps, dies down, has to be revved up again and then continues to burn. It makes me happy. Being outdoors makes me so happy. Thank you Lord for the treasure and joy of the wild places. 

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.