Sunday, July 12, 2020

Lower Lewis River Falls, Washington


At first I was on a 2-month trip, that was supposed to travel up the California coast, into the redwoods and beach campgrounds, then up into Oregon and Washington, culminating at Mt. Rainier National Park. Then with all the COVID cancellations, it brought me down to a 3 week trip, straight up the I-5 into Oregon and Washington. After leaving Silver Falls State Park in Oregon, I drove for what seemed like forever to get to Lower Falls Campground located in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest in Washington. I went round and round in circles up and down forest roads until finally I stopped at the only open general store in the area. It was in that store where a nice young man in overalls, who was the size of a Wookie,  gave me the correct directions. Within the hour, I found the campground, set up camp and in a bit of a daze, wandered around exploring. 
Right down the path from my campsite I found the Lewis River,  cold, brave and flowing swiftly. It was a few days later that I was sitting in the shallows, allowing the water to run over my legs, when I set my hiking pole down for a minute and in that short of time, the river took it forever. It was a shock because it happened so quickly. I realized how easily it could take me out and down the waterfall. After that experience, I was much more careful.
 I love water, especially moving water. Rivers are one of my favorite things, especially when they are clear, cold and swift, like this one. 
 I also love trees. Towering pine trees, at least 100 get tall, were growing all around me. 
After a short while, I decided to go and see the Lower Lewis River Waterfalls. It looked like the path would take me right to it, and indeed it did. After a very short walk along a trail through the forest,  I came upon a prison work crew that were putting up guard rails. My son, Jon, was in the fire-camps for several years, and did work like that all over California.  I stopped and talked to the guys who immediately made me feel comfortable. After our conversation,  I continued on to  the overlook. 
I was astounded. After staring at the Lower Lewis River Falls for God only knows how long, I said to the Lord, "I can die now." It was as if I had seen it all and my life was complete.
Well i didn't die, and you can see that I am one happy camper. 
 The Gifford Pinchot National Forest was so beautiful with its twisted, moss covered trees, wild flowers and rocks of every size, color and shape. 


in spite of the gorgeous waterfall, it was the Lower Lewis River that I grew to love.  I examined every inch of shoreline for 5 days straight. I collected rocks, tossed branches in the water and watched them fly down the current. I found rock cairns and watched the rapids change, always moving, vibrant and alive.  I felt nourished and fortified as I soaked in the beauty. All the pandemic pandemonium had really got me down. In my short time at Lower Falls, I was rejuvenated  and restored. At times it was just me and the forest in all its grand beauty and simple solitude. 

 In the stillness and in the quiet, one can listen and hear the trees grow.
 I love these little rock cairns that people build  everywhere. I have never built one, but always take pictures of other peoples creation. To me it says, "I am here, I am alive." Isn't that wonderful!
 I walked over to the Lower Falls waterfall at least twice a day, enamored by its many moods. On that morning, a translucent rainbow appeared in the mist.  Rainbows always make me happy. I know God is near, and that He loves me.
 My goal while at Lower Falls was to cherish every minute, experience the moist air and the splashing cold water, feel the heat from the campfire, meet new people, and enjoy the outdoors.  I met all kinds of people there, but the ones that stand out are the little kids on their bikes. I kept waving at them as they rode by my campsite. It made me so happy to see them. It wasn't long before they stopped to talk, then a new one would join us. Every day they came and visited me, told me their secrets, showed me the tricks they knew on their bikes, told me about divorces, moving, half sisters and brothers. Children are resillient if they receive love. They can bounce back from just about anything if they feel loved. 
On the last day the big boys came out in droves. One of them jumped from the top of the falls and made a tremendous slap when he hit the water. They all got in that frigid water, then lay down on the hot rocks to dry off. It was beautiful. 
 Male bonding.
My goodbye to the river, the rocks, the trees, the sky, the earth, the waterfall. Until we meet again!

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.