Saturday, July 8, 2017

Theodore Roosevelt National Park, North Dakota

 One of the last places I camped while on my massive road trip was Theodore Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota. My first time camping there was years ago, and it was extremely hot, so I left early. This time, even though it was hot, I was determined to see the park and camped in the South Unit for three nights.
 The sky is so beautiful in North Dakota, with puffy white clouds stretching out into thin wisps of smoke.  You can get lost in the clouds if you're not careful.
I arrived at the Visitor Center around 1pm and it was HOT! Remember I am used to ocean breezes and fog in the morning! That is me in front of the Painted Canyon. I wanted to explore, but decided to wait until it cooled down.
 Do you see any shade trees? No, either did I. Thankfully I brought my shade shelter which was impossible to put up in that heat. I did it anyway, even though it turned out lopsided. The following day, I moved to a site with a little shade, and one big fat rattlesnake that nearly bit me.
 The Little Missouri River flows through the park, and is right behind the campground. Its not the kind of river you swim in, or even wade in. I don't know why, its just not. Pretty for reflections!
 One morning I woke up early and jumped in the car to go out exploring. A misty cloud covered the ground and looked so cool in the morning light.
 I passed this solitary huge bison who was very nonchalantly scratching his neck on the road barrier. He must have stood there forever, scratching this way and that. Not wanting to disturb him, I stayed in my car and took the picture through my open window!
 Further down the road a herd of bison were coming down the hill and crossed the road right in front of me. I had no choice but to wait in the car until they all passed. After I got home I found out that the day before I left Theodore Roosevelt National Park, a tourist up in the North Unit was gored by a bison while out taking pictures of the beasts. Always best to keep your distance from bison, especially early evenings.
 The Maltese Cross cabin was built for Roosevelt on his Maltese Cross Ranch. Following the death of his first wife and mother, both on the same day, Teddy Roosevelt spent nearly three years going back and forth between New York and North Dakota, immersing himself in the hunting and ranching lifestyle. Even though his ranch never prospered, he thrived and went on to become the 26th President of the United States.
 The Badlands in Theodore Roosevelt National Park, a place that fills ones soul with a desolate beauty.
 Looking down into Wind Canyon nearly took my breath away. It was so incredibly gorgeous!
 Wild blue violets grow in the park, and look so sweet against such austere beauty.
 "There are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt
 Wild horses roam the park and kept turning up in the most unexpected places!
 "It was here that the romance of my life began." Theodore Roosevelt
Erosion has carved the sandstone into beautiful formations; a perfect sculpture in a hostile place.
I said goodbye to Theodore Roosevelt National Park and began the long journey home. My heart was thrilled to have nearly accomplished my personal goal to see all 59 of our National Parks. This road trip brought me to 54 out of our 59 National Parks that I have visited and camped at. After 9500 miles, 22 states and several months on the road, I finally found my way home. It was a wonderful journey, one that will remain in my heart forever. Happy Trails to you and yours, and may you find the time to step out and explore those wonderfully beautiful wild places known as our National Parks. Susan Little

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.