Sunday, April 27, 2014

Nashville, Tennessee

All my adult life I have wanted to go to Nashville, and believe it or not, I made it! After I paid $20.00 to park my car, I walked half a block down to the Riverfront Park. Way too much fun!

At my first sight of the Cumberland River, I couldn't help recalling this song by Matraca Berg.
"Oh Cumberland, I'm a faithful son
No matter where I run, I hear you calling me
Mississippi's wide and long, St. Paul to New Orleans
But my heart's resting on your banks in Tennessee"

Just at dusk, I climbed the stairs and walked out onto this huge bridge over the Cumberland River. It was so incredibly exciting and scary; strange combination. 
The town of Nashville was founded in 1779 as a river port and railroad center. In 1843 the city was named the capital of the state of Tennessee. Many of the buildings still standing were built in the 1800's and I passed by one that was actually used as a hospital during the Civil War.

 State of the art high-rises stand next to old brick buildings built over 100 years ago.
I love these old neon signs that light up the night with a flair.
When my son Isaac was in Nashville, he said he ate at Jacks BBQ three times and each time it was delicious. I was by myself and too embarrassed to go into any of the bars or clubs alone, so I stood on the outside looking in!

Well I wasn't really alone; after all I found Elvis!
Horse drawn carriages cart people all over the city streets. I've never ridden in one and wonder if they are a bumpy ride or ridiculously romantic; probably somewhere in-between.
 This is Mandolin Mike, a man like so many others, standing in front of buildings, stores, on street corners, playing their music for a few dollars thrown in the case by people passing by. He was actually very good, but not as good as some of our mandolin players at the Bluegrass group!
I stood and watched this group play and they were actually playing some decent country. The young man in the middle was doing his best to imitate Jason Aldean, but Aldean is "the man" and it is pretty darn hard to imitate him.
Nashville legends, painted on a huge guitar set up in the middle of the street.
Typical street scenario. Girl walks by. Guys watch girl.  Guys talk about girl.  Guys are convinced girl wants them. Guys go back to smoking cigarettes. 
Hard Rock Café all lit up for the night.
Bridge over the Cumberland River.
Nashville Skyline at dusk. I was on top of the bridge overlooking the city, talking to a nice young girl when I took this picture. It was so very beautiful, but it was getting dark and I still had nowhere to sleep. I thought about sleeping in the parking lot as my $20.00 ticket  lasted until 6 am, but then I knew it would be way too scary. So I found a Walmart right nearby and pulled in next to several RV's and Trailers and climbed into the back of my Subee feeling safe and sound.
Good night to all! Sweet dreams! Yours truly, Sissy Girl

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.