Friday, October 22, 2010

Zion National Park, Utah

My stay here in Zion National Park has been wonderful. Today my friend Dale and I spent the day exploring the park in the rain.
We hopped off the shuttle and took the Pairus trail along the river to photograph the Watchman. Clouds and rain created a mysterious atmosphere during the entire day.
At the Court of the Patriarchs, we followed the short trail to the viewpoint, then started climbing up the wet mountainside, far beyond all the tourists. We sat for quite some time taking pictures and watching the clouds move in and out of the mountains.
A pinyon pine cone; the pine nuts were a staple of the early Native Americans and have become my favorite addition to green salads and Jenny's homemade granola.
My dear friend Dale who stopped in to visit me at Zion; an excellent photographer, wonderful manager and great teacher!
It has been raining on and off all week, but today was the first day I saw the waterspouts. After we had coffee at the Zion Lodge, we hiked up the Emerald Pool trail, where Dale spotted the first waterfall.
From that point on, we spotted several more cascading off the cliffs; an unbelievably spectacular sight.
At one point we walked underneath the falls, guarding our cameras from the soaking spray.
Indescribable sublime beauty splashing down all around me; a perfect day even if I was soaking wet.

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.