Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Valley of Fire State Park, Nevada

On my way home from Zion National Park, I stopped at the Valley of Fire, in Nevada; a really cool state Park similar to Arches National Park. It is filled with weird rock formations, natural arches, canyons and Native American petroglyphs.
This formation is called the Seven Sisters, and is set apart from all the other formations. The powerful forces of wind and rain have eroded the sandstone into dinosaur shaped rocks, filled with strange little holes and tunnels.
This natural sandstone arch is slowly weathering away and may one day disappear all together. The campground I stayed at is just behind the arch and had some great campsites tucked away into the rocks.
The Petroglyph Canyon trail takes you back into a canyon filled with unusual formations, acacia trees, Native American rock carvings and Mouses Tank; a stream worn basin hidden in the rocks that trapped and held water.
Apparently a renegade Southern Paiute Indian used this canyon as his hideout, and after causing trouble, would escape into the canyon to hide in the secret caves where there was plenty of water to sustain him.
The sandstone is shaped in the strangest shapes, patterns, colors and textures. At first I couldn't even see the petroglyphs, but then I noticed them high up on the walls, carved into the dark parts of the rocks. They were everywhere. Sort of made me feel like I was standing on holy ground.

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.