Monday, July 11, 2022

Arches National Park, Utah

Arches National Park has always been one of my favorite parks to visit.  Over 2000 documented arches,  plus pinnacles, balanced rocks like the one above, fins and other geologic formations can be found within the park. Balanced Rock is a strange phenomenon. Even though the Entrada Sandstone boulder appears to be balancing, it is actually sitting on an eroding pedestal of Dewey Bridge mudstone. The boulder is estimated to weigh 3577 tons! Now that is a heavy rock!
For years I could not get a reservation at Devils Garden Campground and had to find a campground outside the Park. After staying at Devils Garden, I can see why people love to camp there. The sites were so big, with unusual rock formations and most had some sort of shade to hide in. 
Right near the campground, I walked through the desert and found all kinds of oddly shaped formations.
Flowers always intrigue me. How do they survive in such harsh surroundings?
All of the formations at Arches have been created through natural forces such as wind, water, freezing cold and extreme heat. Such an amazing place that at times resembles a different world.

I wandered through Turret Arch which is in the Windows section of the park. It is so massive, and difficult to convey its size through a photograph.
There are so many different kinds of lizards in this world. I believe this is a spotted leopard lizard, but if anyone knows differently, please email me at thecampingqueen72@gmail.com and  let me know.
This may be my favorite place in the park, Double Arch, which is a giant twisting mass of weathered rock, that forms arches within arches. I spent quite a bit of time sitting in the shade underneath the arches. A great place to meet people and talk to them!
At the very end of the road through Arches National Park sits Devils Garden, a colorful array of sandstone with strange shapes. Most of the arches are salmon colored Estrada Sandstone and buff- colored Navaho sandstone. 
Skyline Arch is also at the end of the road in Arches National Park, and is a very short hike over to the base of the arch.
Its always fun to photograph different perspectives of the same thing, like this one of Skyline Arch. It shows me that in order to fully understand someone or something, it is important to see them from more than one point of view. 
On my way out of the park, I stopped at a variety of interesting pullouts, where it is possible to just climb out on the rocks and explore. Definitely one of my favorite things!
Right near the entrance, I stopped at Park Avenue. There is a short trail from Park Avenue to the Courthouse Towers that is fun to walk. I remember the first time I stood underneath these massive fins. It was in the summer of 2005 and I had never seen anything like this place. It was all so intimidating.  
Good night to one and all! 

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.