Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Oceanside, Carlsbad, Encinitas, Torrey Pines Beaches in southern California



Coming out of the winter months, I always enjoy going to the beaches. But then again I always love going to the beach; rain, sun, wind, night or day. Oceanside Beach and Harbor are home to me. My kids learned how to surf here, and lots of happy hours have been spent here.
One day I drove down to the beach and the tide was way up. It was glorious, with the surf crashing on the rocks at Wisconsin St, and nobody there but me and the ocean, and one homeless guy who came down to the water to wash his feet. Very touching.
Up at the Oceanside Pier, the homes overlooking the water are pretty, but not as pretty as the surf, shore, clouds reflecting in the water, and the sound of the waves.
When my friend Celeste came down from Canada we drove to the Oceanside Pier to watch the sun set. We found one kind soul to take our picture against the setting sun over the ocean.
I love reflections and loved the way the pier was reflected in the windows of the old building the lifeguards use.
Up at the harbor, a working lighthouse goes on at night, giving the whole place a festive atmosphere that takes away any blues I am feeling.
Boats in the harbor, on a quiet day, peaceful, full of contentment.
A bit of a stormy day in Carlsbad, where I go to walk around the village, and also up and down the seawall. Recently, Carlsbad got the new sign and it makes the whole place so beachy! (Is beachy a real word?) That old building in the background is an original, built in 1887 as a family home, which later became known for its chicken dinners. It has changed owners over the years, and now houses a restaurant and a surf shop. They still have the old photographs up on the walls and that is worth seeing if you are ever in town.
View from my timeshare overlooking the ocean in Carlsbad. Those were happy days too!
Encinitas, a bit strange, how would you say, new age?, and full of incense and people who want to chill. In spite of its quirkiness it will always be one of my favorite places. 
At Swamis beach in Encinitas, the view from the top is spectacular!
One day my son Isaac took me to Swamis, and with his son Dylan, we walked down the stairs to the shore. What a fantastic day that was. 
Such unbelievable views. Now that summer is upon us, the tourists and kids will swarm the beaches, with their umbrellas and beach balls.  Still fun, but I do like a lonely stretch of sand to walk upon.
Another favorite place of mine is Torrey Pines State Reserve, nestled in-between La Jolla and Del Mar, in the northwest edge of the city of San Diego. A great place to hike as the trails take you all along the cliffs with spectacular views of the beaches, and then down to the ocean, to jump in the water, or just to walk in the wet sand. Just love it here.
There is a lot of erosion in the sandstone cliffs which make it all the more interesting!

When my sister Judy came to visit, we hiked the trails, ended up at the beach and had a marvelous time. So much beauty, so much freedom and so many people!
That would be, sitting in a little cave on the sand, surrounded by rocks and shells.  Heaven on earth, in my humble opinion.

Weird rock formations are fun to explore and take pictures of. Can you tell what kinds of things are my favorite things?
View of the city of San Diego from the Harbor Island Park. There is much to see down here at the beach. Definitely a must in my opinion!

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.