Monday, May 22, 2017

The Alamo and Riverwalk in San Antonio, Texas

When I knew I would be passing through San Antonio, Texas, I decided to stop and see the Alamo.
 Originally the Alamo was a mission, Mission San Antonio de Valero, and was home to missionaries and Indian converts for nearly 70 years. In the early 1800's the Spanish military stationed a cavalry unit at the former mission. The soldiers referred to the old mission as the Alamo, in honor of their hometown, Alamo de Parras, Coahuila.
 The military, Spanish, Rebel and then Mexican occupied the Alamo until the Texas Revolution. It was the Alamo's role in the Texas Revolution that made the Alamo and its defenders so famous.
From December of 1835 to March of 1836, the Texians and Tejano volunteers battled Mexican troops quartered in the city. Although the volunteers who defended the Alamo were outnumbered, they fought victoriously until the 13th day of the siege, when Santa Anna's soldiers scaled the walls and rushed into the compound. By sunrise the battle had ended and the garrison was slain.
 Although the facts are often debated, the battle itself has come to symbolize the heroic struggle against overwhelming odds; a place where men made the ultimate sacrifice for freedom. I want to honor all those who fight and give their lives for what they believe in, and no matter what the odds, continue courageously forward until the battle is over.
 After my time in the Alamo, I explored the city of San Antonio. I love all the old buildings and history surrounding them.
 Both old and new join together down at the San Antonio River, where a beautiful walkway flanks both sides of the river.
 It is always so much fun for me to explore and see new places. I loved walking along the river, going into the shops and eating ice cream.
 I also experimented with an airbnb room, right outside the city. It looked nothing like this building, believe me, and was enough to make me never want to try rooming with strangers again. Wished I had stayed here!
 Lots of people were using the water taxis, and taking the boat rides. I did not. Saving my money for the trip ahead. A long journey that will cover nearly 8000 miles. I just keep telling myself to be careful, but I keep getting little things that I have to squish underneath the seats in my Subee.
 Modern art in and old city. I like that.
This old guy has been sitting there for so long, he has frozen in position!
As always, its time to say goodbye! I am off on a new adventure and will keep posting my pics as I go along. Blessings to you and yours. Susan Little

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.