Thursday, March 30, 2017

Sonoran Desert Beauty

 My visits out to Arizona to see my daughter-in-law Cara and my two grandsons, Ethan and Wyatt, have been fun, crazy, wild, and filled with family and desert beauty. The Saguaro Cactus are only found in a small portion of the United States, and thrive in the Tucson and Phoenix areas of  Arizona.
 This strange cactus was very tall and thin, with ribs of spiny needles running up and down the stem.
I love flowers and took pictures of these desert beauties while walking through the neighborhoods with Cara's gigantic dog, Ollie.
My buddy, Ollie, is a great protector of the family. In the absence of my son, it is a comfort to know that Ollie is at home with Cara and the kids, guarding the house, and always looking out for them. Such a lover-boy.
So many colors, shapes and sizes are found in desert flowers.
On my way home from Cara's house, I stopped again at Whitewater Preserve. The river was magnificent. These shots were taken from up on the highway while looking down into the valley below.
 The river that runs through the Whitewater preserve is year round. It starts at the highest point in southern California on the southeastern slopes of Mt. San Gorgonio and it ends at the Salton Sea.  The river is fed by rainwater and melted snow, and branches off into smaller streams along the way.
At times you cant even see the river, like this view from the winding street that leads up to the Preserve. I kept pulling over and hopping out of the car to take pictures. Such a beautiful spot!
 Yellow daisies were blooming all over the hillsides like a blanket of golden sunshine.
Must admit, I look a bit wild, as I had just dunked my head in the river and was dripping wet with joy and happiness. Snagged some guy to take my picture in the middle of all those flowers.
   The Whitewater Preserve consists of more than 2800 acres that are part of a larger 33,000 acre Sand to Snow Preserve. At one time the preserve was home to the Whitewater Trout company, but was sold in 2006 to the Wildlands Conservancy. They transformed the old hatchery into this beautiful preserve we see today.
 Fishing is no longer allowed at the preserve but huge trout are still gracefully swimming in the crystal clear ponds. I am sure that it would make any fisherman's mouth water.
It's very peaceful sitting over near the ponds. Still water always causes me to pause and reflect which is a good thing.
After walking around the ponds, I walked down to the river. The river water runs over the street, creating this little waterfall. The down side is that you have to drive through the water in order to get up to the top. My Subee had no trouble, but several cars refused to attempt the river crossing. That would be me, loving life.
View from the Visitor Center overlooking one of the ponds. They do allow camping at Whitewater Preserve, no campfires though, and the camping is free. You just have to call to make a reservation. I've never camped there, but intend to do that soon!
On my way down the mountain, I stopped get a few more photos of the mountain's and desert.
 Good bye to one and all. May your journeys be exciting, your sleep sweet and your life filled with the love of God! Susan Little
 
 
 

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.