Tuesday, October 13, 2015

More of Zion National Park, Utah

After my trip with the Outdoor Adventure Group, I drove into Zion National Park and fortunately found a campsite  within the park. Not easy as the campground usually fills up every day. Knowing that, I arrived  while it was still dark and waited around like a lurking stalker until a guy packed up and drove out of his site. Within seconds I drove into his empty site and set up camp! Thank you Larry for setting up your shade shelter for me!
The Sacred Datura above thrives in my campsite, but that fragile beauty is also deadly.
My sister, Judy, came down to Zion to join me for a few days. Here she is on the Pairus trail, loving every minute of the amazing beauty surrounding us.
The Towers of the Virgin, as viewed from the Pairus Trail, is one of the prettiest trails in Zion National Park.
Faces and formations in the red sandstone.

Autumn is taking her time coming to the canyon. I finally found a few colored leaves and just yesterday saw groves of trees along the river beginning to change color! 
Maidenhair fern and a few red monkey flowers were blooming in the hanging gardens along the Virgin River.
Desert varnish streaks the sandstone cliffs along the creek. The varnish is composed of clay minerals, manganese and iron left behind from water dripping down the cliff.  I have to agree with Vincent, and find that I do find beauty everywhere! "If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." Vincent Van Gogh
 
A beautiful reflection of the cliffs in the water remaining in a pothole. My desire is that the Lord would be reflected in my life, and that His love and mercy would be visible to others.

One of my favorite things is rocks, any kind of rocks. Its against the law to remove anything from any National Park, and that includes rocks. So whenever I am in the parks, I touch, caress, talk to, admire and take pictures of the rocks to enjoy when I return home.
Judy and I took a hike up to Echo Canyon where we found lots of rocks, swirling canyon walls, gorgeous scenery, and time to reflect. 
"Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountain and the sea, are all excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more than we can ever learn from books." John Lubbock  

The power of erosion creates such artistic lines, curves, swirls, and layers.
I like rock cairns, especially this one. I make up stories about who created it and why. Probably some earth loving hippie, or a dedicated artist living on next to nothing.
That would be me, sitting in Echo Canyon, loving life and filled with the joy of being alive.
The Lord our God is the Greatest Artist and Creator, and it is His hand that put the forces of nature into motion. Wow!
Two yellow flowers growing in the rock, surviving on little, blooming for joy, living to their utmost.
Yesterday I went into Springdale, to a park right on the Virgin River. Many families were grilling their lunch, playing in the water and having a peaceful afternoon. I started poking around in the river when two little boys, who were sitting in the water, asked if I was an explorer. I told them yes, that I was exploring for rocks. I showed them how to make the rock cairns in the water, and one of the little boys who was only six years old, started building them. The other dug down into the water  and kept bringing me pretty rocks he thought I would enjoy. I fell in love, with the boys, the river, the whole scene. It made me sad as I walked back to my car and turned around to see the little boys waving at me. These kind of encounters is why I love to travel. So much love, so much life.
Love to you all. Susan Little
 

 

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.