Monday, March 24, 2014

Congaree National Park, South Carolina

Congaree National Park is the 41st National Park I have visited! Last time I checked there were 59 United States National Parks and I plan on visiting every one of them.
It took me forever to get here, like I was driving to the end of the world. The Park itself had flooded with the recent storms, and part of the boardwalk over the swamps had been destroyed by ice. All the trails were flooded and only a portion of the boardwalk was open.
The Congaree River flows through the park and even though this part is still,  other parts were very rough. While I was in the Visitor Center, the ranger got a call from 3 very distressed kayakers who had capsized and lost their kayaks along with all their gear. Scary. I didn't even attempt to get on a canoe or kayak.
 Always love reflections, this one of the pine trees in the Congaree River. In Southern California where I am from, we are in a drought. There is no drought going on out here in the southeast! I must have crossed a hundred rivers, creeks, ponds, lakes and swampland in my journey.
I didn't have the guts to cross the boardwalk here and muck through the swamp. Lucky for me, I turned around and found a rather long stretch of boardwalk that survived the flooding.
 
I found portions of the swamp to be very beautiful. Don't know if I would have felt the same way surrounded by a cloud of blood-sucking mosquitos. Heard lots of frogs croaking, owls hooting, birds calling and even saw a turtle sunning himself on a rock, but never once did I see a mosquito.
In places the river took on a deep blue sheen, as opposed to murky brown.
 Took this shot from the boardwalk, where the reflection of the trees almost becomes one with the tree! It was so fun.
 After Congaree I stayed one night in a rest stop, then headed north to find Jellystone Park in VA. Enjoyed it so much I ended staying two nights! It was awesome. Beautiful tree lined sites, hot showers, and some very nice rednecks from Arkansas who moved up here to work on the power line. This guy Michael came over and we played music over a blazing bonfire. Then the next morning he cooked me a gourmet omelet and hot coffee with a dark chocolate kiss in the bottom of the cup. Then I joined him and the guy in the trailer next to him for a delicious dinner in Larry's mancave; jalapeƱo cornbread, beans with pork spareribs and rice. Very fun. Will miss them both tremendously.  
In between the rain and bursts of sunshine, I wandered through the park taking pictures. Love that cold autumn feel in the middle of spring!
In spite of the 29 degree cold at night, I kept snug and warm huddled in my sleeping bag and quilts in the back of my car. Life is good. Blessings!

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.