Thursday, October 4, 2012

Old Point Loma Lighthouse, San Diego, CA

Last week, my sister and her husband Tom came down to visit me. It was early in the morning when I drove down to the airport to pick them up and was greeted with this radiant sunrise right outside my front door!
Judy loves lighthouses and had never seen the Old Point Loma Lighthouse in San Diego, just seven miles from the airport. After gathering her luggage we drove out to the Cabrillo National Monument only to find the lighthouse covered in fog. "Old Glory" waved in the breeze, despite the fog.  
My sister does not like having her picture taken, but as Tom and Judy walked up the stairs, she seemed so happy that I took her picture anyways.
The lighthouse was completed in 1854, stands 422 feet above sea level and overlooks the bay and ocean. At the time it must have seemed like a great place to build but little did they know the light would often be obscured by fog and low clouds. On a good day the light could be seen for up to 32 miles away, on a bad day, hardly at all. The lighthouse was closed in 1891 and keeper Robert Israel and his family moved into a new light station at the bottom of the hill. This is not Robert Israel, but my handsome brother in law, Tom.
After the fog lifted we were able to see the complete beauty of this simple structure. How comforting it must have been to be welcomed into the San Diego Harbor by the light of this once radiant lighthouse. Dorica Magomba, a Maasai farmer once said, "When you have light, you have courage." I agree and constantly look to Jesus Christ, the Light of the World, to give me courage and help me walk through this life.
 As you can see, I am very happy to be anywhere with Tom and Judy! 

The living quarters for the Keepers of the Light, restored to what it would have looked like while they lived here. On a clear day they must have had incredible views.
One last view before heading off to lunch at the Old Town Mexican Cafe in Old Town, San Diego. I had some killer Pozole, a pork and hominy stew along with handmade tortillas right off the cooking iron. Some things are almost too good to be true.
We stayed for a week down in Carlsbad; talk about a room with a view! Every night we were treated to wonderful sunsets and crashing ocean waves.
My grandsons, Ethan and Wyatt, watching the sunset from our room. Good night to one and all!

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.