Sunday, July 25, 2010

Kings Canyon National Park, California

Kings Canyon National Park was my final stop on my 51 day trip throughout the western United States and Canada. Wow am I tired! After 6,210 miles, eight American National Parks, two Canadian National Parks, and lots of places in between, I am finally home!
Zumwalt Meadows, in Kings Canyon, is a gorgeous green meadow surrounded by rugged mountains and the Kings River.
This little guy would not stop staring at me. He sat there perfectly still, probably wondering who the heck I was and what was I doing taking his picture.
Roaring River Falls in Kings Canyon National Park is one of the most spectacular places in the canyon. It is an incredibly forceful waterfall that rushes through a narrow granite chute and crashes down into a pool of water. Quite a sight. I have probably been to Kings Canyon at least a dozen times, and each time I go, I stop at Zumwalt Meadows. From the Zumwalt Meadow boardwalk, North Dome can be clearly seen, rising so proud and tall above the valley floor. Thunderclouds are a common sight in the canyon and often bring with them a quick cloud burst of rain. In early summer, the Kings River is usually raging full and absolutely beautiful as it rushes through the canyon. One of my favorite pastimes in the canyon is to jump in the river and swim. At Roads End, there is a huge rock known as the John Muir Rock, where Muir actually stood and preached to the crowds. Today people of all ages, including myself, stand on the edge of the rock and jump in the water, then float down the river a bit before crawling out over the rocks to the shore.Of all the times I have visited Kings Canyon, this was my first time to see Grizzly Falls!
Giant Sequoias in Grant Grove, at the upper end of the Canyon. Sort of puts your life in perspective when you stand at the base of the trees and look up.

Copyright©2009 Susan Little, thecampingqueen72@gmail.com. All rights reserved. Use of photos requires written permission.

I do not accept comments or advertising on my blog, but feel free to email me.